Monday, June 23, 2008

Mountaintop Removal Sucks!

Back in the winter I began writing for ETSU's: The East Tennessean. One of my first assignments was to go to a seminar on "Mountaintop Removal" being held on campus. I really had no expectations, just decided to take a pen and paper and see what developed. What I saw that night was heart wrenching. These communities throughout West Virginia, Virginia and KY are being directly affected by the HUGE, big money coal mining industry.

Strangely enough, it's not really "mining" anymore. They are basically just blowing up the mountains, rather than actually digging a hole in the side and "mining" like the past. I realize that this is less dangerous, although not to the people living there, but it is so damaging to residents and the environment.


It takes a lot less time and requires a lot less man power to blow up a mountain, rather than dig one out. (Even though they promise communities that moutaintop removal will provide jobs.)Someone is making "bank" with this operation...



**If you are interested in learning more of the basics to Mountaintop Removal I have a few links:


My story featured in the ET:




Info on Mountaintop Removal, and up-to-date news on legislation:



*What is particularly interesting about the Ilovemountains site is the interactive map tool. You can put in your zip code and it automatically tells the plant that supplies your power and what mines they purchase coal from.

In this area, our power is supplied by the John Sevier Plant in Hawkins County. The site gave me a map of the various mines that supply the plant. One particular plant in Rawl, West Virginia supplies a large amount of coal to this area. The site features a story about a family who is facing major health problems because of the sludge area behind their home. These sludge areas are the chemicals "left over" after the coal is gathered. Basically they put it back in the mountain that they just blew up and hope that it doesn't leak into the drinking water, which is exactly what it does. If you follow the link to Rawl, VA (which I will provide) there is a live map that shows the big bowl of black crap, with beautiful green mountains all around it. How could we ever permit such a thing to happen!?

Here's the link:http://www.ilovemountains.org/communities/c324?feature_id=11#

When I see this picture the environmentalist/hippie comes out in me and makes me really want to do something about it. I will admit that I am not as informed about the subject as I could be,but it is entirely unfair and we need to get our lawmakers to do something about it. I know that I am guilty of using electricity too, but we can't let those with deep pockets take away our mountains!

Please read and tell others about this horrible means of gathering our natural resources. As I do more research there will be more moutaintop removal info to come.





2 comments:

G-Ray said...

For once, I can say I completely agree with you. Coal mining is fucking this country in more than one way; the environmental aspect just tops it off.

As for what to do, I say nuclear power. Now before anyone starts freaking out, consider: How many people died or were affected medically by Three Mile Island? Oh yeah, that's right, NONE. No one. Not a single person.

The only incident anyone can really note is Chernobyl, and that had more to do with inferior construction. Not to mention that we're building plants far better now (not to mention we were building them better THEN too). France, a commonly cited country in the environmental energy battle, gets most (if I recall correctly, about 70%) of its power from nuclear plants. Not to mention the construction jobs created (they take a long time to build). Several people moved to our area when the nuclear plant they were going to build locally in the Church Hill area because it would've provided a steady job for YEARS for many people. Then it got canned, and all those people got screwed and had to scramble. Amanda, you and I both know families affected by that.

Anyway, nuclear's much cleaner now, far cleaner than any kind of coal production out there currently. It's cheaper to maintain, lessens natural dependence, and has many other benefits. Sure, at the end of the day, big corporations profit anyway, but there's not really anyway around that.

Solar isn't effecient enough, and all the other "green" power sources have their own drawbacks. They all have drawbacks. What we really need, as a nation, is to consume less. Of everything. I kinda wish I had some land so I could start a small garden.

At my father's home, we actually do grow some fruits (mostly tomatoes and apples). This saves us on some groceries, and we eat a bit healthier.

But enough of that rant. I think I'm done now.

JW said...

Congratulations! This fine piece was a featured article in our first ever weekly Bloggers Challenge round-up.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/6/30/81558/0581/65/544024

Thanks for spreading the word!

peace,
JW Randolph
Appalachian Voices