Friday, June 20, 2008

Pregnancy Pact?

I was surprised to hear of the alleged (isn't that word sooo over-used?) "Pregnancy Pact" between a large group of high school girls in Mass. I believe I heard that 17 students, ages 16 and UNDER had made a pact to become pregnant ASAP. I even heard that one of the girls was impregnated by a homeless man. (I'm not knocking the homeless. I know some homeless people, who are very kind.)

Do you think this is true? Or an excuse for the increased pregnancy rate @ the high school?

My Opinion: These girls apparently had too much time on their hands to read WAY too many "Ok" magazines filled with "Belly-bumped" celebrities. Someone responsible needs to get them in a sport, a club, or a job. Oh, wait it's too late to do that. They've got baby clothes to buy.

The "secret lives" us teenagers live, (I know, I've lived it and still do to a certain extent) makes things so much more complicated. We get to the stage where we think our parents are absolutely stupid and we decide to lie or not tell them what is going on in our lives. In turn, we end up doing something stupid. This "pregnancy pact" is a prime example.


What do you think about this?

1 comment:

G-Ray said...

If you ask me, by the time you become a teenager, your parents should be less worried about running your life and more worried about preparing you to run your own.

Parents shouldn't have to enroll their kids in anything for them by that point. They should be able to make their own fucking decisions.

Goddamn. Too many people I know who are of LEGAL AGE don't make their own decisions about nearly anything. A club, sport, or job (or pregnancy for that matter, though they should be smart enough to realize it's essentially an impossible one, and a stupid one) should be your choice to make.

I'm not saying parents should give free reign, but let the kids excercise their own thoughts now and again. Don't do everything for them. They're supposed to do their own homework, aren't they? Let them make up their own damn minds, as long as no one is getting hurt in the process.

Isn't that at least partially what this country is supposed to be about? Freedom?

Obviously, there are holes in this argument. Feel free to, you know, talk to me about them. I need some kind of intelligent correspondence, Amanda; I fear you may be one of my few hopes.